T and I picked up some delicious, fresh buns at the local farmers market today [along with some delicious rye bread in which we made amazing grilled chicken sandwiches for lunch; check out our instagram for the photo].
We decided we could make some meatball sandwiches with marinara sauce and melted mozzarella cheese, and they were a hit!
Here’s how we made them:
We are a really big fan of buying lots of things on sale, and Bulk Barn. Most of the spices we used were bought in bulk, and the ground beef and mozzarella were bought on sale and frozen. If you have the storage opportunity, picking up items on sale or in bulk and freezing them for later is a fantastic way to save a few bucks [for us, those saved bucks are usually spent on more food or yarn].
We mixed together [with our hands, T loved it] 1.5 lb of ground beef [got it on sale!], one egg, ½ cup of italian seasoned bread crumbs, we used one shallot, but you can easily use half a yellow onion or a quarter or so of a red onion, 1-2 cloves of garlic depending on the size, ½ tsp of seasoning salt, ½ tsp of red pepper flakes, a 1 tsp of dried parsley, 1 tsp of oregano and pepper [I was generous].
T formed them into balls [made about 26] onto a frying pan of olive oil [tbsp or two] and we cooked on medium heat until done [about 15 minutes]. Afterwards we added homemade marinara sauce and simmered on low for an additional 5-10 minutes. You can you use any tomato or pasta sauce you like with any spices you like.
In the meantime, we toasted the cut open buns in the oven on broil. Be careful to watch them closely so they don’t burn!
Next we assembled the sandwiches [we made 4] and put 4 meatballs per sandwich using the extra sauce in the pan to pour on top and then we covered in mozzarella cheese!
We put them back in the oven under broil until the cheese melted. If you have it kicking around, grated or flaked parmesan is a fantastic finishing touch.
Now it’s the good part! Stuffing your faces and enjoying your messy, delicious sandwiches. And on the plus side, you’ll have extra meatballs leftover for spaghetti, more sandwiches or to freeze for another day!
Enjoy! Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4-6 buns [or less if you want to make less]
- 1.5 lb of ground beef
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of italian seasoned bread crumbs,
- one shallot [or ½ yellow onion or ¼ red onion -whatever you have on hand]
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tsp of seasoning salt
- ½ tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- 1 tsp of oregano
- pepper to taste
- Mozzarella cheese
- Marinara, Tomato or Pasta Sauce
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Combine ground beef, spices, egg and breadcrumbs in a bowl and mix well with hands.
- Form meat mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Cook newly formed meatballs in a frying pan over medium heat with olive oil for about 10-15 minutes.
- Turn heat down to a simmer and add tomato sauce, enough to cover the bottom of the pan and most of the meatballs [you’ll want the extra sauce for your sandwiches!]. Simmer for 5-10 additional minutes to ensure the meat is cooked.
- In the meantime, toast subs in the oven under broil.
- Next assemble the sandwiches with however many meatballs you want and cover with extra sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Melt cheese under broiler and serve warm! Add parmesan cheese if you’d like! Enjoy!