Ohhhhh my gosh, I love kale chips. I am HUGE on snacking – I’m the kind of girl that eats a bunch of small meals through the day, lest I get hangry. Kale chips are a fantastic option for snacking. They’re crispy, can be seasoned any way you like, and are packed full of nutrients! The best part? They only take about 20 minutes.
The first thing you want to do is preheat your oven to 350F.
Start with your bunch of kale. I got this gorgeous beauty from the farmer’s market. The amount you use is going to depend on how much you need. This is very much a “do what you need” recipe. In any case, thoroughly wash your kale and pat it dry with paper towel. You want the kale to be dry before you bake it, otherwise it won’t crisp up, and you’re going to end up with soggy, sad kale chips.
Tear your kale up into slightly larger than bite-sized pieces. The kale will shrink in the oven, so adjust according to the size you want. The order of laying it on the pan and coating it in olive oil is really up to what you have available to you. I have this fantastic little olive oil mister, so I lay my kale out on the pan in a single layer and then mist it. If you don’t have an oil mister, toss it in a bowl with some olive oil before laying it out on the pan. I suggest only using a light coating on the kale, as too much oil will leave you with a heavy, oily chip.
Now is where this snack gets gorgeous and customizable! There are a ton of great recipes floating around on the internet, but seasoning salt, paprika, granulated garlic, and cayenne pepper are my favourites. If you want to use a wet seasoning, don’t add it until after the chips are baked – the wet seasoning will leave you with a soggy chip.
Once your chips are seasoned, it’s time to bake! Pop them in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Check on them at the 10 minute mark to see if they have crisped up. If they are dry and crispy, pull them out to cool! If not, leave them in the oven and keep an eye on them. As they begin to brown, the kale gets bitter, so you want to keep an eye on them.
Once you’ve pulled them from the oven, let them cool for 5-10 minutes. I find this help them crisp up a little further. That being said, they rarely make it that long in my house!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10-15 minutes
Serves: Depends on how hungry you are
- Olive oil
- Spices – I use cayenne, granulated garlic, seasoning salt, and paprika
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and put aside.
- Wash your kale throughly with cool water.
- Dry your kale using paper towel or a towel. Your leaves should be dry, if not very nearly.
- Remove the stems from your kale, and tear the leaves into into bite-sized pieces.
- Lightly coat your kale in olive oil…
- By laying it out on your pan in a single layer and misting it with your olive oil sprayer.
- By tossing it in a bowl with olive oil.
- Lay your kale out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Do not overcrowd or your kale may not crisp up.
- Season your kale as desired.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, checking it at 10 minutes. You want it to be crispy to the touch, but not browned.
- Remove kale chips from the oven and let sit for 5-10 minutes to cool and finish crisping up (if you can).
- ENJOY! 🙂