I love eating cabbage rolls, but making them is another story. They take so much time and skill I just do not have.
Solution? Turn the ingredients of cabbage rolls into delicious, hearty soup! This a family recipe that was given to me and trust me when I say, I will be keeping this one forever.
I use ground turkey for this recipe; it’s lean, delicious, inexpensive [at least where I live] and it really is amazing, but if you’re still skeptical, you can always use ground beef. This recipe turned me into a HUGE fan of ground turkey – it’s just so great!
You will need olive oil, 1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, 4 cups of chopped cabbage, 1 796 mL can of diced tomatoes, 1 680 mL can of tomato sauce + ½ cup of water to rinse the can, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp smoked paprika [seriously smoked paprika is my new favourite thing – try it! If not normal paprika will also work!], 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar. You can also add 1 cup of rice, orzo, pasta or egg noodle pasta etc. to stretch it further.
I had leftovers the next day for lunch and I added some egg noodle pasta to it and it was amazing!
First, dice the onion and mince the garlic. Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the onion and garlic until slightly soft, about 1-2 minutes. Add the ground turkey and the Worcestershire sauce and cook until no longer pink.
While the meat is cooking, chop up about 4 cups of cabbage [I was generous with my 4 cups 😛 ].
Next add the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. I used about ½ cup of water to rinse out the can of tomato sauce and added that to the pot as well. Next add all the spices, followed by the cabbage. Bring the soup to boil then simmer for 45 minutes to one hour. The simmering step is needed for the cabbage to cook. Lastly add the balsamic vinegar and serve!
**THAT IS THE SECRET STEP, add the balsamic vinegar AFTER it’s finished cooking, TRUST ME.**
Optional step: cook rice, orzo, pasta or egg noodle pasta etc., while the soup is simmering and add some to your bowl before you pour your soup on top.
I made my Homemade Crusty Bread on the weekend and had some left to serve with the soup – amazing combination!
- I will post the recipe to the bread recipe soon, you’ll fall in love with it I swear 😉
Cabbage Roll Soup
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1.5 tsp from the jarred variety)
- 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef if you prefer)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 796 mL can of diced tomatoes
- 1 680 mL can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup water [to rinse out tomato sauce can]
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Optional: 1 cup of rice, orzo, pasta or egg noodle pasta
- Heat oil, onion and garlic until slightly soft, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add meat and Worcestershire sauce, cook until no longer pink.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Use ½ cup of water to rinse out the can of tomato sauce and pour it in as well.
- Add all spices in the pot and stir, once mixed in, add cabbage.
- Bring to boil then simmer for 45 minutes to one hour (time needed to cook cabbage).
- Add balsamic vinegar, stir in and serve.
Optional: In meantime cook 1 cup of rice, orzo, pasta or egg noodle pasta and add some to your bowl before you pour your soup on top.