Denny’s makes this amazing breakfast skillet full of vegetables, eggs and potatoes and I love it! The problem is that it’s so far away from me and costs money [something of which I am in short supply].
So I made my own version 🙂 !
I am addicted to potatoes for breakfast. Nothing satisfies more than fried potatoes and a good cup of coffee after a great night out.
… and I need a break from Thanksgiving Turkey leftovers!
In terms of ingredients, it’s whatever you make it to be, but you’ll want potatoes, eggs, vegetables and garlic for sure. If you’ve got it, throw in some bacon, but that’ll be more prep work, and you want to eat it right away!
I made this for two people and used whatever I had on hand, you can substitute and change however you please.
I used 2 red potatoes, 1 diced onion [I actually used up my last shallot instead], 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 eggs, mozzarella cheese, salt, pepper, 1 tbsp butter, 1 small red pepper, 4 mushrooms, and a handful of spinach.
First things first, get those potatoes frying! Dice the potatoes into small pieces with the onion, garlic and butter and throw them in the pan on medium heat right away.
While those start off, cut up the rest of your vegetables [minus the spinach – always add leafy types at the end] and put them in the frying pan, season and cover the frying pan. Cook for about 15-20 minutes, only stirring occasionally.
Once the potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork, scramble up an egg or two [depending on how much veg and potatoes you added – I made mine for two people so I put in 2 eggs] and add them to the frying pan, stirring quickly while the eggs cook.
Next, if you are adding spinach, now is the time to let that wilt and mix in. If not, it’s time for the cheese! I used mozzarella this time as I had it kicking around, but I have used cheddar and parmesan in the past [I make this a lot 🙂 ]. Put the lid back on to melt the cheese. Once it’s all melty, gooey and delicious looking, slide the entire contents onto your plate [I find it helps to guide with a spatula]. I say slide so the cheese can stay on top and it’ll look like this!
YUM. Last step is to make that delicious cup of coffee and enjoy your amazing breakfast skillet on the couch, in your pjs, while watching Harry Potter [or not, it’s up to you 😉 ].
Prep & Cook Time 20-25 minutes
- 1 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 2 red potatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small red pepper
- 4 mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- handful of spinach
- handful of mozzarella cheese
- Dice potatoes into small pieces, start them in the frying pan over medium heat with butter/oil, diced onion and minced garlic.
- While that starts off [the potatoes will need more cooking time], dice up the pepper and mushrooms into small pieces. Add them to the frying pan, season with salt, pepper [any other seasonings you enjoy] and cover. Only stir occasionally to stop anything from sticking.
- Once the potatoes can be pierced with a fork, scramble two eggs in a bowl with a fork and add to the frying pan. Stir quickly as the egg will cook fast.
- Add a handful of spinach, wilt and mix it in.
- Next cover the top with grated cheese, put the lid back on the frying pan and let it melt.
- Once the cheese is completely melted, use a spatula to help guide the entire contents of the frying pan onto a plate.
- Serve and enjoy your breakfast!