This meal is healthy, really tasty and flavourful and most importantly, quick! – Those are words you want to hear right? This is a great mid-week dinner that is really quick to make and is a great way to use a lot of vegetables at once.
I love vegetables, our fridge is always full of them. So I like to make stirfrys and egg fried rice dishes. Lately I’ve been making a veggie-packed egg fried rice with quinoa instead!
Start with a cup of uncooked quinoa, onion, garlic and whatever vegetables you have laying around. Step one is to get the quinoa cooking. For quinoa, 1 cup uncooked quinoa needs to be cooked in 2 cups of water. While I was boiling the water for the quinoa, I decided to throw in a vegetable broth bouillon cube – such a great decision, it added so much extra flavour to the dish.
Quinoa cooks similar to rice; bring the water/broth to a boil, add the quinoa, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until fluffy and tender. At this point, drain out any extra liquid, but don’t rinse it – keep all that broth-y goodness in there.
Next chop up your vegetables, onion and garlic and fry it in a frying pan with olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes. You can also add grated ginger as well! It keeps very well in the freezer, I just break a piece off and peel/mince while frozen when needed.
Side note: I hate using a cheese grater to grate anything. So for the carrots I peeled the skin, discarding it and then just kept peeling the carrot until I got to the core, then I piled the pieces up and roughly chopped with a knife.
Next beat two eggs in a bowl and add to the pan. As you can see, I moved the vegetables off to the side to give it room to cook. Now would be the time to season it [pepper, Mrs. Dash, salt; although easy on the salt – soy sauce has tons].
Once the eggs are cooked, add the cooked and drained quinoa into the frying pan. Lastly add soy sauce until well coated.
This recipe is great! It’s quick, easy, delicious, HEALTHY and vegetarian [unless you decide to add chicken]. It makes for a great mid-week ‘I’m just too busy for this’ dinner. Let’s keep those New Year’s resolutions alive and well!
This time pictured above [I make it a lot], I used half a large zucchini, sliced mushrooms, shredded carrots and spinach wilted at the end!
Egg Fried Quinoa
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
Yields: 2-4 Servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 inch “nob” of ginger, peeled and chopped [optional]
- 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water/ vegetable broth [highly recommend using broth]
- 2 eggs
- soy sauce until coated [about ¼ – ⅓ cup]
- salt and pepper to taste [go easy on the salt, there’s lots in the soy sauce]
Add any vegetables you want! Here are some possibilities I’ve done:
- 1.5 zucchinis, quartered and sliced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Good large handful of green/yellow beans, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Half a large zucchini, quartered and sliced
- large handful of sliced mushrooms
- 1-2 shredded carrots
- handful of spinach at the end
- Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups vegetable broth, in the meantime chop and dice all your vegetables.
- Next heat olive oil and cook onions, garlic, ginger and chopped vegetables over medium heat in a frying pan.
- Once soft, add two beaten eggs and season with salt, pepper etc.
- Once eggs are cooked, add the cooked and drained [not rinsed] quinoa and mix to combine.
- Add the soy sauce and serve!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram