Strata. This is a breakfast food that I didn’t know I needed until I ate it for the first time. And now I’m bummed that I missed out on this for like 24.5 years. Custardy and delicious and kind of like a fancy baked french toast, strata is a super versatile breakfast or brunch or ANYTIME meal. This recipe is savory, but it can also be modified for a sweet tooth (hello berry and maple strata…). Click through for the recipe and walk-through!
It all starts with a loaf of bread. I have made this with Italian and French loaves, and they both do the job. Preferably, let the bread get a little stale – it makes it far easier to cut. Cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside in a large mixing bowl or Ziploc bag.
Beat 6 eggs and 1 1/4 cup of milk. Season with salt and pepper. Yes, there is a 7th egg standing by – you may or may not need it later on, so hold onto your socks.
Shred 2 cups of cheddar or any similar melty cheese. Cook 6 slices of bacon using any method you prefer (I am an oven diehard thanks to J!), drain, and chop.
Now it’s time to combine! Add the egg mixture, bacon, and cheese to the bread cubes and mix thoroughly. You want the bread to be covered in the egg mixture and for the cheese and bacon to be dispersed throughout. If there is not enough egg, beat your 7th egg with a splash of milk and add. Let sit for at least 20-25 minutes for the bread to soak up the egg – I promise that it’s worth the wait!! Near the end of this soak, preheat the oven to 350F.
Grease or line a pan of your choosing. Of all the times I have made this, 8×8 pans are my favourite – you will need 2 for this recipe. Otherwise, I used an 8.5×11 pan here. Add the mixture to the pan and spread out evenly. Cover with tinfoil and place into the oven for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
Serve and enjoy!
Bacon and Cheddar Strata
Prep time: 35 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 loaf of french or italian bread, cubed
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- 6-7 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- Salt and pepper
- Slice your bread into ~1 inch cubes. Place them in a ziploc bag or bowl large enough to mix in.
- Beat 6 eggs with 1 1/4 cup milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Shred 2 cups of cheddar cheese.
- Cook and chop 6 slices of bacon.
- Combine bread, egg, bacon, and cheddar cheese in a large bowl or Ziploc bag. Add the 7th egg, beaten if needed. Let sit for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease the pan well and distribute the bread mixture evenly. Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake 25 mins covered, remove tinfoil, and bake for another 10 minutes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram