Ever just need a big bowl of Mac ‘n’ Cheese to get you through the day, the week, …the entire winter…?
In my opinion, Mac ‘n’ Cheese is the best comfort food, it’s cheesy, it’s gooey, and it’s wonderful. It should be listed as a drug therapy to help combat the winter blues. Everyone should have an easy recipe in their collection… for the sake of your health and sanity!
Allow me to introduce you to T’s mother’s Famous Mac ‘n’ Cheese [Made by J].
Very simple and straight forward [which is a good thing – you can drink out of the wine bottle with one hand, and make the Mac ‘n’ Cheese with the other 😉 ].
Step one: cook half 900g pack of elbow macaroni and place into greased baking dish.
At the same time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and start working on the cheese sauce.
Step two is to make your cheese sauce. First dice 1 yellow onion and mince 2 cloves of garlic. Sauté in olive oil until soft and fragrant. Next add salt, pepper, dry mustard and flour. Stir to incorporate. Pour in 1-1 1/2 cups of milk and stir to thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until completely melted and ooey gooey.
Step three: Pour cheese sauce all over cooked macaroni and stir to combine, cover in melted butter and breadcrumbs, and parmesan cheese.
Step four: Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
Step five: combat feelings by serving right away and shovelling into face until all emotions are gone.
You can also change it up! Add bacon, smoked sausage, chicken, veggies. Make it your own Famous Mac ‘n’ Cheese.
Mac ‘n’ Cheese
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 450 g package of elbow macaroni [half a 900g package]
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup of bread crumbs
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook elbow macaroni until tender but firm and put into greased 2-qt baking dish, while at the same time, preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the macaroni is cooking, heat 2 tbsp of butter over medium heat, add the diced onion and minced garlic, cooking until tender (about 5 minutes).
- Blend in flour, mustard and pepper with the onions and garlic.
- Stir in milk; cook, stirring until thickened, add salt to taste.
- Remove from heat; stir in all the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni in baking dish and stir it up to coat everything.
- In microwave melt and combine 2 tbsp of butter with 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, sprinkle mixture and grated parmesan cheese over top of macaroni.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Stuff your face 🙂
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram