Do you love curry, coconut and lots of veggies? Look no further my friend. I love coming up with simple and flavourful midweek dinners to get us through the work week.
This recipe is even better the next day when the potatoes have had a chance to really thicken it up [lunch leftovers! #winning] ! This Veggie Coconut Curry is amazing and flavourful [but only if you like coconut].
Simple, yet delicious ingredients.
Here’s how your well-prepped workstation will look. Potatoes diced and boiling [don’t bother peeling them], spices mixed, veggies chopped, and cans ready to go. I like to be organized [some will say that’s an understatement…].
In a deep frying pan, start frying the onions, garlic and ginger in some olive oil. Once soft (few minutes) add the spice blend. Stir constantly for about 30 seconds to a minute.
Next add the veggies and cooked potatoes and keep stirring! There’s no liquid in there yet and you don’t want anything to burn. After the veggies are coated in the spices, add drained and rinsed chickpeas, coconut milk and diced tomatoes (with the juices). Bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes.
If you are feeling very adventurous you can pair this with my favourite naan recipe! After frying, I brush mine in melted butter with cumin and garlic powder. Mmmmm 🙂
Veggie Coconut Curry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4-5 russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 broccoli heads, diced
- 5-6 button mushrooms, sliced
- Handful of green beans, chopped
- 1 19 oz/540 mL can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 796 mL can of diced tomatoes with juices
- 1 15 oz can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper [add more if you like it spicy – I’m a wuss]
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start off by dicing the potatoes into 1 inch cubes and place in boiling water to cook for 10-20 minutes. Remove and drain when you can easily pierce with fork.
- In the meantime, dice onions, and mince ginger root and garlic. Heat in a deep frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil until soft.
- Dice broccoli, slice mushrooms and chop up green beans.
- Combine all spices in a bowl, once onion ginger and garlic is soft and fragrant, add spices to pan and stir constantly to combine and not to burn.
- Add the veggies and stir to mix in spices. Add cooked potatoes and stir to combine. Always keep mixing to not burn as there won’t be any liquid in the frying pan yet.
- Add chickpeas, diced tomatoes and coconut milk to pan and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for 30 minutes +.
*Note: the potatoes will make the dish thicken it up over time
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram