Shakshuka is one of those feel-good, satisfying, warm-up-your-bones kind of meal. It’s healthy, filling, and easy to prepare, and that makes it one of my absolute favourite meals to make for myself. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, alone, shared…this dish covers it all! Click on through for the how-to!
All you need for this recipe is 1 can of diced tomato, one red pepper, one white onion, one clove of garlic, four eggs, and two smoked sausages. That is it. If you want to get fancy, you might consider adding some cayenne or salt to taste. But believe me when I say that this recipe will turn out fantastic without them.
Start by dicing and browning your smoked sausage. Once browned, remove it from the pan. Don’t drain the oil from the pan – there won’t be much, but it will be enough to use for the vegetables! HELLO FLAVOUR.
Dice your white onion and begin to brown it in the pan. Mince the clove of garlic and add it to the onions. Finally, dice the red pepper and add it to the pan. Saute the vegetables until they begin to soften.
Blend 1/2 of the tomatoes until smooth. Add the remaining diced tomatoes into the pan, along with the blended tomatoes. Stir the pan until combined. At this point, add red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Simmer on medium until the tomatoes have thickened. Then, add the diced smoked sausage back into the mixture and stir until combined.
Crack 4 eggs onto the mixture, and cover with a lid. Cook the eggs to your desired hardness – soft and hard yolks are both DELICIOUS.
Serve hot with some crusty bread to mop up all of the goodness in the bowl. Enjoy!
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- 2 smoked sausages
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 medium white onion, diced
- 1 small-medium red pepper, diced
- 1 can (28 fl oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes, 1/2 blended smooth
- 4 eggs
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Mince 1 garlic clove, and dice 1/2 a medium white onion and 1 small-medium red pepper. Set aside.
- Dice 2 smoked sausages and brown over medium low heat. Place in bowl and set aside. Do not drain the pan.
- Sauté the diced onion for 1 minute, and add the minced garlic. After 2 minutes, add the red pepper and sauté until softened.
- Blend 1/2 of the can of diced tomatoes until smooth.
- Add the blended tomatoes and the rest of the diced tomatoes and juice to the pan.
- Add red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Stir until combined.
- Simmer on medium heat until the tomatoes have thickened.
- Add the diced smoked sausage back into the mixture. Stir until combined.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Crack 4 eggs onto the tomato mixture. Cover the pan with a lid to cook eggs to desired hardness.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram