My love of pasta and avocado is not news – see my post here for Avocado Bacon Penne. BUT I also like fancy avocado – guacamole is absolutely scrumptious. This recipe adds some more veggies and protein to the mix, and is super tasty and satisfying. Even the day after, the leftovers held up (they may have been even better…)! Click on through to see how to make this colourful and flavourful dish!
The basics for this recipe are simple: 2 cups of penne (I used whole wheat), 1 large avocado (or frankly however much you’d like to use – I would say the more, the better), 1 clove of garlic, 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, 1 medium onion (or two small, which is all I had left), 2 cups of spinach, and 1 chicken breast. You will also need salt and pepper to taste, some lemon juice if you think you might have leftovers, and a little bit of olive oil.
There’s a lot to be done right at the start, but nothing too complicated, I promise. Start by heating up a pot of water to boil the penne. If you’re a multitasker like myself, get your chicken on the barbecue or in the oven to cook. In the meantime, get to mincing your garlic, dicing your onion, and quartering your cherry tomatoes. Saute the diced onion in a little bit of olive oil for 1 minute, and then add the minced garlic. Cook until the onion is translucent, and then add your tomatoes. Keep it on low heat until the onion begins to caramelize. This is the part that bumps it all up from avocado to guac. 😉
Slice open and pit your avocado. Scoop out the flesh and mash it with a fork in a large bowl. Combine with a splash of olive oil and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside. By this time, your pot of water should be boiling – put 2 cups of penne into the water and stir. Don’t forget to check on your chicken!
Slice the 2 cups of spinach (or use baby spinach) and wilt in the pan with the onions, garlic, and tomatoes.
When the chicken is cooked (165°F/74°C, kiddies. Safety first!), dice it and add it to your veggie mixture. Drain the penne (do not rinse!) and add to the bowl with the avocado. Stir the penne and avocado together first! We want the penne to be coated in the avocado. Add the veggie and chicken mixture to the penne and stir until combined.
Serve hot and devour.
Chicken and Guac Penne
Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 large avocado
- 2 cups spinach, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups penne
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 chicken breast, cooked, diced
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice
- Begin to cook the chicken with your method of choice (i.e. barbecue, oven, etc.).
- Boil water to cook penne in.
- Dice onions and saute with olive oil for 1 minute. Mince garlic clove and add to the onions. Continue to saute until onions become translucent.
- Quarter the cherry tomatoes and add to the onions and garlic.
- Mash the avocado flesh in a large bowl with a splash of olive oil and lemon juice, until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste, mix until combined.
- Add 2 cups of penne to the boiling water, and cook until al dente.
- Slice up 2 cups of spinach and wilt in the frying pan with the onions, garlic, and cherry tomatoes.
- Dice the fully cooked chicken (165°F/74°C) and add to the vegetable mixture.
- Drain pasta (do not rinse) and combine with avocado mixture. Stir until the avocado has coated the penne.
- Add the veggie and chicken mixture to the pasta. Stir until combined.
- Serve hot, ENJOY!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram