We’re not saying that chips, veggies, and dip aren’t good appetizers (and late night – home alone – kind of snacks). But we ARE saying that if you want to step up your appetizer game, we have the recipe for you: Prosciutto Stuffed Mushrooms! That’s right, these savoury little poppable pieces of glory make it look like you slaved over the stove for hours, when really, you spent minimal time and effort.
I don’t even have many photos to show you, it’s that easy!
So here’s how it goes down. First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and dice/mince ½ an onion and 2 cloves of garlic, you’ll want to fry them over medium heat with some olive oil for a few minutes, just to get them fragrant, soft and wonderful (I mean translucent).
Next chop up 100 g package of prosciutto and throw in a bowl with some grated mozzarella (or any melty white cheese you want), grated parmesan, balsamic vinegar, chopped green onions, freshly ground pepper and those fried onions and garlic.
As you may have noticed in the photo – I upped my parm game for the REAL DEAL [no regrets] – but make no mistake, I am incredibly lazy when it comes to grating cheese so I do still have the shaved and pre-grated parm in the fridge for other cooking purposes.
Next clean 1 pound/16 oz/2x 8 oz/454 gram (whatever measurement unit you use) package of cremini or button mushrooms and de-stem (Is that the right term? De-stem? De-stock? Hollow out? Just take out the stock, stem, bit of mushroom that prevents you from stuffing it!).
Note: in these photos I only made 1/2 a pound of stuffed mushrooms and put the extra stuffing in my pasta for dinner that night. 😛
Now it’s time for the fun bit. Stuff it! I meant it with the overstuffing, just use two teaspoons and shove it all in there, smush it in, add more, go crazy! You will make a mess all over the table FYI.
ALSO let’s talk about salt for a minute…it’s really not needed in this recipe, unless you are a major salt fiend. Between the excessive amounts of prosciutto and parmesan – trust me there’s enough salt in there to satisfy your tastebuds.
Out of the oven, topped with more delicious grated parmesan and all finished!! mmmmmmm. Eat them while still warm 🙂
Prosciutto Stuffed Mushrooms
Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2x 8oz package of button or cremini mushrooms [or a 16 oz,1 lb, or 454g package; however you measure things, it all adds up to the same amount]
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 100g prosciutto, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan + more for topping
- ¼ cup of grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp of green onions, chopped
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean and de-stem the mushrooms.
- Dice the onion and garlic and fry in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent (2-5 minutes).
- Chop up prosciutto and add to a bowl with grated cheeses, freshly ground pepper, chopped green onions, balsamic vinegar and the fried onions and garlic.
- Stir to combine and then stuff and overstuff the mushrooms, place overstuffed mushrooms in baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Top with more parmesan and serve immediately for best results!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram