Here comes bathing suit season! And even though I feel everyone’s bathing suit season ready once they stick that bathing suit on… I do understand the need to eat healthier, move more and just feel like you have more energy instead of that hibernation state we were all in because of the winter.
Here’s one healthy option for you to kick-start feeling good! Turkey Lettuce Wraps!
This dish has ground turkey, tofu, lettuce, black beans, and avocado – mhmm talk about a winner!
First off let’s start with my “How-To” Tofu Guide.
I do not pretend to know anything about tofu; all I know is that I like it, and I like it crispy.
[Resources include, but are no limited to: the internet, asking others and good ol’ fashion trial and error! Don’t be afraid!]
First I take my extra firm tofu block out of the package and run it under cold water to get rid of that gross package liquid then pat dry with paper towel. Next I cut it in half [width-wise] and put half of it in a container with clean cold water and store it in the fridge – it should be fine for a few days in there.
After that, I want to thinly trim the remaining 3 sides and dispose of it [it looks gross – I have no other reason besides that], and slice up thinly [width-wise and then again into 6-8 pieces] into bite sized pieces and press dry with paper towel.
Next, I lay all the pieces flat on a few pieces of paper towel on a cutting board and put a few more pieces of paper towel on top. I then put another cutting board on top and add some weight [i.e. a jar of sugar, cast iron pan etc.]. Leave it for about 20-30 minutes to let the paper towels absorb the moisture. In this time I usually get to chopping my other veggies and doing the dishes.
After the time is up, I dispose of the paper towel and spray/coat the tofu lightly with olive oil and some generous seasoning salt and pepper. Fry the tofu over medium heat in a frying pan and only turn each piece once it’s got that golden crispy colour on the other side.
Here’s my cooking set up, I have my turkey [only half the package – ½ lb], onions and garlic frying in oil, my tofu cooking, my 2 cups chopped veg [and minced ginger] with my cup of black beans and my soy sauce/ cornstarch sauce ready to go.
After the meat is cooked, add the veggies for a few minutes, then the beans and sauce [dissolve about 1 tsp cornstarch to about 1 tsp of soy sauce and add about 2-3 more tsp of soy sauce before adding to the fying pan]. After thicken, mixed, and delicious, throw in the finished tofu as well [see that nice golden colour?].
Serve on a Romaine lettuce leaf and add some sliced avocado! 🙂
Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Serves 3 if 2 wraps each, Serves 2 if 3 each! [unless serving with something else; I would say it serves 2 people].
- Half block of extra firm tofu, sliced and coated in seasoning salt, pepper and olive oil spray
- ½ lb of ground turkey [mine had rosemary extract in it]
- [2 cups of chopped veg]
- 4 button mushrooms
- Handful of snow peas
- Inch ginger, grated
- ¾ of a large carrot
- 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 4 tsp of soy sauce to 1 tsp of cornstarch [mix one in one to start and add more]
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Romaine Lettuce pieces
- 1 avocado
- Start by slicing, drying and preparing your tofu for cooking [See full “How-To Guide” above].
- Slice and dice about 2 cups of veggies [I used mushrooms, snow peas, and a carrot] into pieces about a bit larger than a black bean.
- Dice ½ a yellow onion and grate about an inch of ginger.
- Hopefully by now the paper towel has absorbed most of the tofu moisture, spray both sides with olive oil spray [or toss to lightly coat in olive oil] and cover in seasoning salt and freshly ground pepper [both sides].
- Get them in a frying pan to cook on medium heat and do not flip until the tofu is a golden colour on the bottom side.
- At the same time, in a different frying pan, fry ½ lb of ground turkey [this one had rosemary extract incorporated into it] in olive oil, 1 clove of garlic [minced] and the ½ diced onion over medium heat.
- After the meat is cooked, throw in the veggies and grated ginger and let them sauté for a few minutes, you want them to soften but not lose their bite. Add in one cup of black beans [rinsed and drained].
- Dissolve one tsp of soy sauce in 1 tsp of cornstarch, add 2-3 more tsps of soy sauce once dissolved and pour over meat mixture and stir to incorporate. Throw the tofu in there once all fried up.
- Serve on Romaine lettuce pieces with sliced avocado!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram