ft. date night
Want to have a date night but don’t really have the money to spend on two dinners, drinks and a tip? Not to worry, I have your fancy [and easy] solution!
Flatbread! It’s like those mini homemade pizzas you’d make with your mum when you were little… but fancier!
It is inexpensive, tasty, and fun to make together. The only other thing you’ll want is your favourite bottle of wine to enjoy with these bad boys!
Firstly, let’s start the vehicle in which you make your flatbread [the flatbread itself]. You have a couple of options: either homemade or store bought. You can use naans, pitas or pizza dough [cut smaller so that it isn’t a giant 18 inch pizza]. I prefer homemade, it’s more fun, I feel more self pride and it is a LOT cheaper.
I am using this recipe → HERE as it is my favourite, but there are thousands of great pizza dough, pita, and naan recipes on the internet just waiting for you to discover.
If you don’t want to be that fancy – or are afraid of cooking with yeast – the store bought variety is also an amazing choice. You know what, even uncooked store bought pizza dough would work great! Just roll it out in the size you want and cook/fry it!
Next prepare your toppings. Examples and ideas include:
- Cured meats – hit up the deli for a bit of sausage or pepperoni – you don’t need a large piece so it won’t be expensive!
- Bacon bits
- Shredded chicken
- Our roasted chickpeas recipe
- Crispy tofu
- Fried onions, garlic or mushrooms
- Sundried tomatoes
- Fresh tomatoes
- Spinach or kale
- Whole cloves of roasted garlic [fry in frying pan prior]
- Peppers [roasted or raw]
- dressings [creamy or vinaigrette]
- balsamic vinegar
- feta cheese, goat cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella, good old fashion cheddar
After choosing your vehicle, the next step is to prepare the flatbread itself for all your delicious toppings featured above. You want it warmed/toasted in a frying pan [more important if store bought] and seasoned before you begin.
Using a pastry brush [or something you’ve macgyvered], brush the flatbread with olive oil and season with whatever spices you like. Some ideas include freshly ground pepper, maybe some salt, garlic powder, seasoning salt, Italian seasoning, dried oregano, basil, and/or parsley. If you are going for a curry or spicy theme, try red pepper flakes or cumin. The choice of seasonings is a personal one.
We used freshly ground pepper, seasoning salt, dried oregano and basil for our flatbreads.
After that, it’s time to build your flatbread to your fancy, don’t forget to top with fresh or dried herbs and try to avoid making a heaping pile of toppings, spread them out over the whole surface; it’s a dainty flatbread not a deep dish pizza! Don’t worry they’ll fill you up – I had 2, the future hubby had 3 and we were STUFFED.
I like to top mine with either a splash of balsamic vinegar or a nice vinaigrette dressing, or just a bit more brushed on olive oil and some herbs!
Lastly, you want to broil the flatbread in the oven, keep a close eye on this as it will go quick!
Enjoy with a big bottle of wine and have fun on date night!
- Pitas, naans or mini pizza dough – homemade or store-bought
- Olive oil
- dried herbs [and fresh if you have it]
Anything else you want!
- feta, goat, mozzarella or any type of cheese
- toppings of choice, fried or raw or dried – see list above
- pesto, balsamic or any dressing of choice [creamy or vinaigrette]
- meats or proteins of choice
- Cook or warm your flatbread vehicles, season with brushed olive oil and spices [ground pepper, garlic, oregano etc.]
- Top with your favourite fried [mushrooms, garlic, onions] or raw [tomatoes, spinach, avocado] or dried [herbs, tomatoes] ingredients.
- Broil on high heat in the oven for a couple of minutes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram