It’s been a while since I’ve done something snacky. As I was sitting at my desk at work one day, mourning the loss of the last of my snacks for the day, it suddenly hit me – how good would a grilled cheese be right now? The answer, of course, was “so good”. But we’re going to take this one step further today – we’re going to make it easy to handle (
because regular grilled cheese is so hard to handle…), AND dress it up with some avocado. Click on through to follow some easy steps to deliciousness!
We start and end this magical adventure with 4 ingredients: avocado, bread, thinly sliced cheese, and butter or margarine. After eating these, I think that some chili flakes would also have been delicious, or maybe a little garlic butter action on the outside, but to each their own!
Start by taking a rolling pin or a wine bottle or whatever you have and flattening your bread out. You want it nice and flat and compacted – smooshed down, if you will (yes, that is the technical term).
Coarsely chop your avocado and place it on one end of your smooshed bread. You don’t want this to come too far up the bread, because you want to be able to roll this nice and compact. At this point, you would also add your thinly sliced cheese to the rest of the exposed bread – I did have a picture of this, but it somehow disappeared from my phone… I used thinly sliced brick cheddar, because it was all I had, but shredded or American cheese would also work great. The point is, you want to be able to roll the bread up into a nice compact little pinwheel of glory.
Once you have rolled your grilled cheeses up, put a pan on the stove and heat to medium-low. Butter or margarine the seam of the roll – where the edge of the bread touches the rest of the roll, and place that side face down in the pan. You may have to give it a little press down to get it to stay. I also used my other rolls to keep things steady. At this point, you can butter or margarine the rest of the outside of the roll, if you want to.
As the sides begin to brown, rotate the roll ups to get some crispy goodness on the other sides too. Once all of the sides are nice and toasty, and the cheese is nice and melty, it’s go time.
Serve hot with any desired condiments. Sorry about the new addiction.
Avocado Grilled Cheese Roll-Ups
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Serves: As many as you want to make
- Slices of bread – I recommend 2 per person
- Thinly sliced or shredded cheese of your choice
- Softened butter or margarine
- Coarsely chopped avocado
- Using a rolling pin or bottle, roll out the slices of bread until flat.
- Place coarsely chopped avocado on one edge of the flattened bread – be sure to leave room to roll!
- Cover the rest of the bread with the sliced or shredded cheese.
- Roll as tightly as you can to create a pinwheel around the avocado.
- Butter or margarine the seam of the roll up.
- Place a pan on medium-low heat and allow it to heat up.
- Place roll ups buttered/margarined seam down. Allow to brown and crisp up.
- Butter or margarine other sides of the roll up.
- Rotate until the overall golden brown crispiness you desire is reached and the cheese is melty.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [Follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram