Despite learning the same lesson every single time, it never ceases to surprise me how dang satisfying a sandwich can be. This Philly cheese steak sandwich does not fall outside that category, what with its tender beef, crunchy peppers, sweet onions mushrooms, and ooey, gooey mozzarella cheese… Pardon the drool. Click on through for a how-to.
This is a pretty straightforward meal. You’re going to need beef – stirfry beef, skirt steak, or even steak will work. You will also need 1-2 medium to large green peppers, 1 medium to large white onion, 4 panini buns, 1 clove of garlic, and mozzarella cheese. If you are of the spicy-loving variety, such as myself, you might also like to add some chili flakes to the process.
Start by slicing your beef up. If you’re going to be cutting your own, make sure you cut across the grain for a tender piece of meat. Once you’ve cut everything up, drop it into a hot pan with some oil to cook it. Season to taste with salt and pepper. A trick I learned at work a few years ago is to drain the beef once it releases water into the pan – otherwise you will end up boiling your meat, and it will be invariably tough.
While your beef is cooking, julienne your onions and peppers. Mince the clove of garlic. When the beef is done cooking, remove from the pan.
Sautee the green peppers, onion, and garlic. Season with chili flakes, if you’d like!
The trick here is to cook until the onions just start to soften and become translucent. That way, you’re going to end up with a nice crunch in your sandwich. When things get to this point, remove the veggie mix and combine in a bowl with the beef.
I ended up slicing and sauteeing some mushrooms as a delicious afterthought. These are optional, but tasty. Add these to your bowl of beef and veggies and stir until combined.
Assembling the sandwich is pretty straightforward. Slice your buns in half almost all the way through. Split the beef and veggie mixture evenly between each bun, and top with slices (if you’re lazy, like me) or shredded mozzarella. Fold closed, and wrap each sandwich in tin foil. Place in the oven at 400F or on the top rack of the barbecue for approximately 10 minutes, until the cheese is nice and melty.
Chow down, man. You will not regret.
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Beef cut of your choice
- 1-2 medium to large green peppers
- 1 medium to large white onion
- 4 panini buns
- 1 clove of garlic
- Mozzarella chees
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Optional: chili flakes, mushrooms
- Slice beef into bitesized strips.
- Cook beef in hot frying pan with some oil. Drain if required, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove beef from heat and set aside.
- Julienne onion, peppers, and mince garlic.
- Sautee vegetables in oil until onions start to become translucent. Optional: add sliced mushrooms, season with chili flakes.
- Combine beef and vegetables in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven or barbecue to 400F.
- Slice panini buns in half, almost all the way through.
- Portion out the beef and vegetable mixture between the four buns.
- Top with sliced or shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Fold sandwich closed, and wrap tightly in tin foil.
- Place sandwiches in oven or on top rack of barbecue for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melty.
- Serve and enjoy!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram