Hash browns are one of those feel good foods that just make you feel cozy and right at home. There’s something about them that is just way too good for something that is so simple. I suspect magic. Click on through for how to make these tasty morsels.
It all starts with a potato. Or two potatoes, in this case. Pull out your cheese grater and grate two potatoes. Today I used yellow-fleshed potatoes, because it was what I had around, but I’m told Yukon gold potatoes are also delicious.
I’m going to be honest. Freshly grated potatoes? Looks kind of unappetizing. BUT NEVER FEAR – a good wash is going to help with that.
In a large bowl, soak the shredded potato in cold water. This helps to dissolve the excess starch out of the potatoes. Drain and repeat until the water is clear.
Doesn’t that look nicer?
The next step is a little more labour intensive. You need to squeeze the water out of your shredded potato. Today, I squeezed it out by the fistful and then patted it dry with paper towel. You can also place it in a cheesecloth and squeeze it out that way. Any way you go, you want it to be dry.
Next, add your seasoning. I used 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (because I like it spicy). Stir until combined.
Paprika don’t play games.
Melt 2 tbsp butter in a pan over medium heat, and place the shredded potato mixture into the pan. Let it cook until the bottom forms a nice crispy brown crust, about 5 minutes. Flip, and allow to cook for another 5 minutes or so.
Serve hot, and try not to eat it all in one sitting. 😉
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 2 potatoes (yellow fleshed and Yukon gold work well)
- Cold water
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne (can reduce if you don’t like it hot!)
- Shred the potatoes.
- Soak the potatoes in cold water in a large bowl to dissolve the excess starch. Drain and repeat until the water is clear.
- Squeeze the water out of the potatoes and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp cayenne. Stir until combined.
- Melt 2 tsp butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add shredded potato mixture to the pan. Allow to cook until brown crust forms on the bottom, approximately 5 minutes. Flip, and allow the other side to cook, approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve hot and ENJOY.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting
This post is part of the monthly link up party Our Growing Edge. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things.