I first fell in love with quiche a few weeks back, when a friend’s mother made this UNBELIEVABLE cheddar, bacon, and onion quiche. It was so good, I could hardly believe it. I decided that I would like to eat something similar for breakfast, and after the hash browns I made a few weeks ago, I thought “Could I switch the pastry crust with hash browns?” The answer, as it turns out, is YES. Click on through to follow me on this adventure!
Preheat the oven to 450F. To start things off, prepare your hash brown potatoes the same way we did in THIS post. I used 3 medium sized potatoes, and it gave me a nice thick base. Dice 1-2 small to medium onions and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat 4 large eggs.
Combine the potatoes, onions, and eggs. If you feel the mixture is too dry (i.e. does not have enough egg in it), beat another and add to the mixture. The egg should be just coating the potatoes and onions, not creating a small swimming pool at the bottom. You can also take this opportunity to season the potatoes with salt, pepper, paprika, etc.
In a lightly greased deep pie pan, press the potato, onion, and egg mixture into a crust shape. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. When the crust is finished, reduce the oven to 350F.
While you are waiting for your crust to bake, prepare your other filling ingredients! The beauty of quiche is just about any vegetable or meat can go into it. The trick is to lightly cook them beforehand so that your vegetables do not make the quiche soggy. Today I sauteed 6 strips of bacon, 1 diced medium yellow onion, 1 diced red pepper, and 6 diced mushrooms. Once the crust is finished, dump the filling ingredients into the crust and spread them out evenly.
Beat 4-6 large eggs in a bowl with 1 cup of milk / cream (whatever you prefer) and pour it over the filling ingredients. It should just cover them – it’s okay if a few things are poking out.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is set and a knife comes out of the filling clean.
Allow the quiche to cool 10-15 minutes and serve!
Hash Brown Breakfast Quiche
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1-2 small to medium onions
- 8-10 large eggs
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic, etc.)
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 red pepper
- 6 mushrooms
- 1 cup of milk / cream
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare shredded potato as in this post.
- Dice 1-2 small to medium onions.
- Beat 4 large eggs.
- Combine shredded potato, diced onion, and beaten eggs. Season as desired.
- Press mixture into a lightly greased deep pie pan to form a crust. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Once removed from the oven, reduce oven to350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, dice 1 medium yellow onion, 1 red pepper, and 6 mushrooms. Sautee lightly until they begin to soften.
- Cook 6 strips of bacon, drain, and dice.
- Combine vegetables and bacon, and spread evenly in the hash brown crust.
- Beat 4-6 eggs (depending on size of pie) and ~1 cup of milk / cream. Pour over filling.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling is set and a knife comes out of the filling clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting