So these started as a try at those fancy “energy balls” I’ve been seeing all over Pinterest. They are these naturally sweetened, nutritious balls of goodness that are supposed to be a nice filling snack, or even a pre-workout supplement, meant to give you a little kick of energy. But these…these are something more…decadent. Luxurious. Luscious, even. If you like eating chocolate, but not the stomach ache from overdoing it, click on through to the recipe!
I started by chopping up some almonds in my food processor. I ended up with 3 cups of chopped almonds. I mixed this with 1/3 cup of ground flax, because we are here for the fibre party.
To that mixture, add about 1/2 tsp salt, and 3-4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder. You CAN add more cocoa powder to the mix later on if you find it’s not chocolatey enough for you.
Next, Imma take you on a date! Get it?! Because dates! We’re using dates! … I’ll see myself out. Pop 3 cups of pitted dried dates into a food processor. When you first start processing them, pulse the blade for a few seconds. Trust me on this one – the food processor will dance across your counter if you don’t break them up a little first. Food process them until…
…they form a ball like this!
Add the dates to the dry mixture and begin to knead everything together. Take all the time you need – you can’t overwork this dough! If you’re finding it’s a little dry, add 2 tsp almond milk (or any other milk you have).
It should come together and look something like this! Test the flavour to make sure you’re happy with it, and make adjustments as required. Now you’re ready to roll your truffles.
The size of your truffles are your choice, but I like mine bitesized. Roll them out in your hands, and then roll the truffle in ground almonds.
Store in a tupperware container in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Pro tip, they won’t last that long. 😉
Chocolate Almond Date Truffles
- 3 cups chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups pitted dried dates
- Ground almonds for rolling the dates in
- 2 tsp almond milk (if needed)
- In a large bowl, combine chopped almonds, ground flax seed, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Food process 3 cups of pitted dried dates until they form a ball in the food processor.
- Knead dates into the dry ingredients until combined. Add 2 tsp almond milk if the mixture is too dry.
- Add more salt or cocoa powder if desired.
- Roll date mixture into truffles of the desired size.
- Roll truffle in ground almonds.
- Store in tupperware in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting