This is the delicious sequel to the German spaetzle that we posted two weeks ago! Today we’re going to make the sauce – a quick beef stroganoff. This stuff is soul food to me – I grew up eating my mom’s slow cooker stroganoff, and it’s still a treat to this day. I was craving it, but didn’t have time to put it in the slow cooker for 8 hours, so I decided to come up with this recipe! It takes less than an hour, and you end up with a rich and flavourful pot of glorious. Click on through for more!
Mince one large white onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil of your choice in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and allow it to sautee for about 30 seconds. Add 1 lb ground beef (or other ground protein of your choice) to the pan and mix with the garlic. Cook the beef until browned (about 5-7 minutes). Drain off the excess fat and set the beef aside.
Wash, peel, and shred 2 large carrots. I used the large holes in my cheese grater. Set the carrots aside.
Slice 2 cups of mushrooms and set them aside.
In a deep pot, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil of your choice over medium heat. Sautee the onions until they begin to brown. Add the mushrooms, and cook until they begin to soften.
Add the ground beef and the carrots into the pot with the mushrooms and onions. Pour 1-1.5 cups of beef broth over the mixture and stir until combined. Bring the pot to a simmer.
Add 1 cup of sour cream to the pot. Stir until combined. Continue to simmer the pot until it has evaporated down to the desired consistency – I like mine nice and thick. If you’re having trouble getting to the thickness you want, you can add a slurry of flour and water to thicken it like you would a gravy. I do recommend mixing the flour into a liquid BEFORE adding it to the pot – otherwise you’re going to get cooked lumps of flour.
Serve hot over pasta or rice. Enjoy!
- 1 large white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large carrots
- 1-1.5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- Cooking oil
- Mince the garlic, chop the onion, and slice the mushrooms. Wash, peel, and shred the carrots. Set the vegetables aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil over medium heat in a large pan. Sautee the garlic in the oil for 30 seconds. Add 1 lb of ground beef to pan and stir to combine with garlic. Stir until combined. Brown the beef until cooked, 5-7 minutes. Drain off the excess fat and set the beef aside.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp of cooking oil over medium heat. Add the onions to the pot and cook until browned. Add the mushrooms once the onions are browned, and cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the shredded carrots, beef, and 1-1.5 cups of beef broth. Stir until combined and bring to a simmer.
- Add 1 cup sour cream and stir until combined. Simmer down to desired thickness. Add a flour and water slurry to thicken the sauce if required.
- Serve hot over pasta or rice!
- Enjoy! 🙂
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting