I love pad thai, I frequently crave it. But something that tasty can’t be healthy can it? Who knows, but ordering out all the time hurts the wallet, so here’s my version! 🙂
I say ‘inauthentic’ because it’s just that… not authentic. But it’s delicious…so who cares! I’ve got tofu, eggs, noodles, bean sprouts, carrots and red pepper. mmmm, all tasty things 🙂
It also has a yummy sauce that’s not spicy and close enough to the real thing 🙂 Top with some peanuts, green onions, and lime and you’ve got yourself a quick and tasty dish any day of the week 🙂
Okay my set up. I find the most difficult thing with pad thai is the timing. Here I have my noodles almost done cooking, my sauce ready and my carrots, peppers, tofu, and eggs cooked. Bean sprouts on standby for maximum crunch. Next combine everything together in the frying pan on low heat and serve. 🙂
Don’t forget those tasty toppings!
- ½ block extra firm tofu
- ground pepper
- garlic powder
- sesame oil
- ½ package of pad thai noodles
- 1 ½ cups of grated carrot
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- Toppings: chopped peanuts, diced green onions and lime wedges
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
- To turn up the heat: red pepper flakes, cayenne, jalapenos, hot sauce etc. whatever you like
- If you wanted to add meat/fish: Stir fried chicken, or grilled shrimp marinated in soy sauce and minced garlic would be my choices 🙂
- Cube and toss tofu in salt, pepper, garlic powder and sesame oil and fry til golden and crispy. See my crispy tofu recipe for more information. Set tofu aside.
- Prepare sauce in a bowl.
- Cook pad thai noodles according to package directions.
- Prepare veggies and toppings.
- Next fry carrots and red pepper in a little bit of sesame oil for no longer than a minute. Move it to the side of the frying pan and add two eggs and scramble. Once eggs are cooked and everything is mixed up, turn it to a minimum heat. Add in bean sprouts, cooked tofu, noodles and sauce.
- Toss it up and serve topped with peanuts, green onions and a bit of lime!
- Add more spice if you like it!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting