Impress your friends and yourself with these great flavours and its ease to make.
First off, gather your ingredients: 8oz button mushrooms chopped roughly, 1 lb ground chicken, ginger, red thai chili, carrots, pepper, onion and garlic. This will make the filling.
You’ll also want some “wraps.” I like using radicchio, it’s bitter and contrasts nicely to the sweetness of the teriyaki. For those less adventurous, romaine or iceberg works great as well 🙂
You will also need some teriyaki sauce, and the more viscous kind. The more liquid version doesn’t fare well. As you can see there’s two different ones in the picture below. I experimented (the second picture was the winner 😉 )! You also want chow mein noodles, I found these at the local grocery store!
First, cook the chicken with the mushrooms in sesame oil and some salt and pepper. Remove when done and drain any fat (if there is any).
Next, dice/grate all your veg and aromatics and fry in sesame oil with salt and pepper, this will soften and remove some moisture. Also I didn’t cut it all that small, I used a food processor! Add the meat back in and cover in teriyaki.
Next boil chow mein noodles according to directions then drain well and pan fry quickly in some canola/veg oil to “crisp” up a bit.
Serve them up hot with sesame seeds and extra teriyaki! These went down great at the Superbowl!
Teriyaki Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Crispy Noodles
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red thai chili de-seeded and finely diced (add more or keep seeds for a spicier dish)
- 1 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 small (or one large) carrots, grated
- 8 oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1-2 medium peppers, finely diced (orange, yellow or red)
- 1lb ground chicken
- Sesame oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Teriyaki sauce (the more viscous kind, the more liquid kind is too thin) plus more for serving
- Lettuce for wraps (radicchio is great as it’s bitter and contrasts nicely to the sweet teriyaki sauce, or romaine also works)
- Chow mien noodles and Vegetable/Canola oil for pan frying
- Sesame seeds for toppings
- Fry chicken in sesame oil, salt, pepper, and roughyl chopped mushrooms. Remove from heat once chicken is cooked.
- Fry everything else in sesame oil – onion, garlic, chili, ginger, carrots, and pepper(s). I used a food processor to get that fine dice/grate.
- Add meat mixture back into frying pan and add teriyaki sauce. Stir to combine and simmer for a few minutes.
- Cook noodles as per directions and fry in another frying pan with veg /canola oil
- Serve meat mixture in lettuce pieces with extra teriyaki, sesame seeds, and crispy noodles.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting