Craving something light and fresh and tasty now the weather is warming up? Ya me too!
That’s why I decided to make this healthy, filling, and most importantly, tasty grilled chicken fajita salad!
Ideally, the BBQ is the best method here, but living in an apartment has it’s disadvantages. So I grilled my chicken in a cast iron grill instead. They really are life changing, and if you are like me and BBQ-less (my husband weeps about the lack of BBQ), you can pick up a cast iron grill for around $30 at the right place!
First, make your fajita mix, alternatively you could use the pre-made packet, but that’s no fun. Save one teaspoon of this mix in another bowl for the dressing.
Next pound the meat between parchment to ensure an even thickness to each piece, making it easier and quicker to cook. I used a rolling pin to smash mine. 😛
Rub both sides all over with the fajita rub. Next (washing your hands first) prep your salad and dressing, then after that is done, grill the chicken in a cast iron with a bit of olive oil until cooked.
For the salad I wanted something fresh and crunchy so I used romaine lettuce, peppers, cucumber and grape tomatoes.
For the dressing, I started with the 1 tsp of fajita mix we set aside in the beginning and mixed with olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a splash of lime. Whisk to combine and toss into your salad! Divide the salad onto two plates!
Once the chicken is cooked, slice on cutting board and lay on your dressed salad.
Chicken Fajita Salad for 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 splash lime juice
- 2 chicken breasts
Your favourite salad ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ Tbsp sweet or smoked paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp white sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Prepare your fajita rub. Mix together and remove 1 tsp of the rub, putting aside to make the vinaigrette.
- Pound two chicken breasts between a large piece of parchment paper so that they cook evenly, rub the rest of the fajita rub all over both sides of the chicken breast.
- In the meantime, prep the salad to your liking (romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, peppers etc.)
- Combine the saved 1 tsp of fajita rub with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, and a splash lime juice
- Whisk to combine and toss over salad, serving the salad onto two plates.
- Next fry chicken on the BBQ or in cast iron grill until cooked.
- Serve salad on plates with the cooked and sliced fajita chicken breast over top.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting