This recipe came out of a mystery box challenge, but more on that later 😉
My biggest issue with making soup is that one recipe makes wayyy too much for me. I do not want to eat the same soup for a week straight, and this is literally the reason I do not make chili. I like variety in my meals. So, I’ve decided to come up with a solution, making a small batch recipe. Genius I know.
So as I said in my opener, I made this on a mystery box challenge. Sometimes my hubby and I like to make fun date nights, and then again sometimes we just drink a bottle of wine while watching Harry Potter. 😉 So the date night goes like this: one person buys ingredients for dinner, the other, not knowing what the ingredients will be, makes dinner. As we are not amazing chefs by any means, we also give ourselves 5 minutes to Google techniques and recipes before the iPad goes off and the cooking begins!
I made this recipe as my hubby only came home with 1 leek and 3 red potatoes; I served it as a sauce actually, over pan fried pork loin chops and fried asparagus. It’s fun how creative you can get when forced to be. What if the dish is no good? Our rule is…whoever screws up the cooking, buys the pizza.
Anyways, back to the recipe and enjoy!
Small Batch Leek & Red Potato Soup
- 1 leek, diced fine
- 3 red potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1-2 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp dried thyme, or to taste
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 tsp of lemon juice
- Scant ¼ cup of 18-35% table cream
- Sauté the potato, leek and garlic in canola oil for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of stock and seasonings to taste.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove from heat and using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Alternatively, blend in blender until smooth (be careful, let it cool down a bit before doing that way!)
- Season again with salt and pepper to taste and with lemon juice.
- Add cream and stir to combine.
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadulting