So for some reason, I managed to go some time without eating pasta. Which is weird for me, considering that at least 50% of my body is pasta. Have I mentioned I love pasta? In the spirit of meal prep this week, I decided to bring back one of my favourite foods (PASTA.) with some smokey sausage, crisp veggies, and a silky rose sauce that I have been dying for all week. Click on through for how to make this dish!
We will start with the veggies! Over a low heat, caramelize half of a medium white onion that you have sliced with some butter along with 2-3 minced cloves of garlic. While that’s working its delicious magic, dice 1/2 a cup of red pepper, 1/2 a cup of green pepper, and 1 1/2 cups of broccoli florets and the stems if you’re like that (I am). When the onions are nice and soft and browned and delicious, toss the other veggies in and mix. If this is meal prep, do not cook the peppers and broccoli! They will get mushy and watery and will not heat up well. Once your veggies are cooked (or not), remove from heat and set aside.
Next, take 3 smokes sausages, slice them into thin coins, and brown them in a hot pan. Mine were pre-cooked, but if yours aren’t, for the love of all that is holy, please cook them completely. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
Now for the sauuuuuuce. Take a 796 mL can of diced tomatoes and pour it into a deep pan, including all of the liquid. Add 1/3 cup of heavy cream and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For a little heat, I added 1 teaspoon of chili flakes. I also added 1/2 of a teaspoon of garlic powder. Cover and bring to a boil, and then turn the heat down to simmer until your desired thickness is reached. Stir occasionally. When the sauce starts getting close to your desired thickness, make some pasta of your choice, drain, and set aside.
Assemble your meals! How much veg, sausage, sauce, and pasta you want is really up to you, but this was more than enough for me to assemble 3 very hearty lunches for this week. ENJOY!
Creamy Sausage and Tomato Pasta
- 1/2 medium white onion, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets and stems (diced)
- 3 smoked sausages, cooked and sliced thinly
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomato
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Caramelize onion and garlic in the butter.
- If you are doing meal prep, toss in the other veggies with the onions, mix, and set aside off of the heat. If you are not doing meal prep, cook all veggies to the desired tenderness and set aside.
- Brown sausage coins in a hot pan. Drain and set aside.
- Add diced tomatoes, heavy cream, chili flakes, salt, pepper, and garlic powder into a pan and stir to combine. Cover and ring to a boil. Reduce heat, uncover, and let simmer to desired thickness.
- Cook pasta to desired tenderness.
- Serve hot or portion out into individual containers for the week.
- ENJOY! 🙂
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram