OKAY I KNOW IT’S SUMMER, BUT BEAR WITH ME. I enjoy hot beverages all year round, I love chocolate, and my air conditioning is absolutely cranking out the chilliest air (it’s 38°C with the humidex, what even is that?). But for me, hot chocolate mix is usually too sweet, plus it’s full of a whole bunch of stuff I just don’t need to be consuming when I could be making it myself. The only equipment you’re going to need is a microwave – TRUST. Click through to follow along!
Start with 1/2 cup of milk of your choice in a microwave safe mug. I used 1%. Microwave it on the default setting for 2 minutes and thirty seconds. We want the milk to be hot.
Once the milk is hot, add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder to the milk. Whisk it in with a fork for a minute or so. It won’t dissolve completely, but we are aiming to get rid of the majority of lumps. Heat in the microwave on the default setting for another minute.
Add 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup (or more, if you like it sweeter – I would suggest waiting until the rest of the milk is in the mug), and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir thoroughly.
Top up the mug with milk and stir to make sure everything is combined. Check to see if it is sweet enough for you – if it isn’t, add some more maple syrup until you’re happy with the flavour. Microwave on the default setting in 30 second increments until it is hot enough. You can overboil the milk in the microwave, and you’ll have a massive mess on your hands, so don’t say I didn’t warn you! 😉
Enjoy your luxurious, homemade hot chocolate! Top with marshmallows if ya fancy.
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 1/2 cup milk + approx. 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2+ teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: marshmallows
- Heat 1/2 cup milk in a microwave-safe mug for 3 minutes on the default microwave setting.
- Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powder to milk. Stir until combined. Microwave for 1 minute on the default microwave setting.
- Add 2 teaspoons of pure maple syrup and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Stir until combined.
- Top up the mug with milk to the desired level. Stir until combined.
- Heat in 30 second increments until the desired temperature is reached. Note: keep an eye on it while heating to ensure it doesn’t overboil.
- Serve with marshmallows if desired. ENJOY!
Don’t forget to subscribe to email updates [follow us via email] on the right-hand side.
Check out our tweets here
Like us on Facebook
Pin your favourite recipes from here
..and follow our picture story on Instagram
Check out our SnapChat!! >> foodandadultin